Dental implants are the ideal choice if you're looking for a long-term tooth replacement option. Dr. Peter Perimenis, your Stamford, CT general dentist at Perimenis Family Dental Practice, shares information on dental implants and explains how they can help restore your smile.
What are dental implants?
Thanks to dental implants, it's possible to permanently replace a missing tooth from the roots to the crown. Titanium implants, which look like tiny screws, are placed in an opening in your jawbone during the first step of the process. The implants will osseointegrate, or bond to your bone, over the next three to six months. When bonding is complete, your new implants will be just as strong and durable as the roots they've replaced.
The implants is the most important part of your new tooth, but it's not the only crucial part. Connecting a crown to the top of the implant fills the gap in your mouth and allows you to chew and bite normally.
What are the advantages of getting implants in Stamford?
Implants offer several important benefits, including:
- Flexibility: No matter how many teeth you've lost, dental implants can restore your smile. They're ideal if you've lost one tooth, but can also replace all of your teeth.
- Superior Comfort: Because your implants are securely bonded to your bone, they won't move or slip when you eat. Dental implants feel very much like natural teeth and don't irritate your gums the way dentures can.
- No Jaw Shrinkage: A weakened, receding jawbone is an unfortunate consequence of tooth loss. The problem occurs when the bone is no longer stimulated by tooth roots. Since implants replace roots, they continue to stimulate your jaw, preventing bone loss.
- Easy Care: You'll care for your new implant the same way you care for your natural teeth. In addition to brushing, daily flossing is particularly important, as it will help you avoid an infection that can loosen the implant.
- Fewer Stomach Issues: It's hard to thoroughly chew food when you're missing teeth, particularly if the missing teeth are molars. Unfortunately, if you swallow foods whole, you may experience an upset stomach or other problems.
Are you ready to improve your smile with dental implants? Call Dr. Perimenis, your Stamford, CT general dentist, at Perimenis Family Dental Practice, at (203) 348-1555 to schedule an appointment.